Thursday, April 29, 2010

Decisions, Decisions..

This is regarding the thought of the budget I'm having for an Australian rig.

I've been playing the guitar for 8 years now, and I see no reason to stop. Even if I work at a shit wage, and tend to get stressed out on a daily basis.

But only one thing keeps me at ease.

Especially the past few days when I popped my earphones in, having Windows Media Player to subtlely play the backing tracks I'm interested in, and I just play what my heart feels.

It's a very odd spiritual bond. With the techniques and knowledge aside, all were implemented smoothly.

And I find that weird.

Am I finally getting there?!

Hence, if you remember (which I don't, by the way), my budget (should be) is AUD$1,500 after the iPhone and iPad, which is probably going to take me months to really save up to that amount.

I'm allocating about.. $1200 for the guitar, and maybe $300 (????) for the amp. I've got no idea how much an amp costs anyway, but the guitar, yes I do have a brief idea.

But $1200 for .. what? Converted back to Malaysian currency, that's about MYR 4000.

Which is as equilvalent to a Japanese Ibanez RG series, or a Fender Stratocaster.

And that's exactly what I have in mind. Let's talk about it, since I'm writing about it.

The good old Japanese RG. Depending on its model, the colour and design varies. For most of you who've seen me play, I work around with an Indonesian made JEM JR (which is a total rip-off, but I had my reasons to get it at that specifications in the end. I sucked it up and loved it anyway.) So.. The basics?

  • Super-Wizard neck for comfort and easy playing.
  • Rosewood neck (Mainly. I've never seen an RG with a neck anyway)
  • Superstrat body (so more space for hardware)
  • Floyd-Rose trem. This is probably one of those Ibanez Lo-Edge. I had a look at the Zero-Shift or something, and that was pretty.. good.
  • Humbucker-Single-Humbucker INF-S (If they're still doing it for normal RG series) setup.
  • 24 frets
The thing that you'd love to play if you follow the likes of Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Korn, Children of Bodom (Yes, yes I know.. Laiho uses an ESP..) and many other Rock/Metal players.

Or..



The Fender Stratocaster. Depending on what make, where it was produced and the year, all plays an important role in this guitar. Unlike the Ibanez RG series, each year has its own story, furnishing, and its own sound to sing.

Since I've been listening to a lot of Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan, BB King (Not entirely. This guy uses a hollowback, but still this guitar sounds nearly the same as his tone!), of course, John Mayer and Eric Johnson.

  • Maple neck, 21 frets (And hell it looks awesome as it ages. Give it 10 years, and it'll look all beat up, but that's how maple necks are!!)
  • Single-Single-Single Fender pickups setup. The crunchiness, the twanginess, and FINALLY the Tone knob has a role to play on the guitar!!!!!!!
  • Stratocaster body
I remember the first time I held an electric guitar during my guitar lesson days.. And the first thing I held was a Fender Strat. It felt right, and just felt nice.

My decision's a 70% for the Stratocaster.

And thinking about it just excites me because.. I never had a Stratocaster! And I feel like I'm maturing in terms of music, so time to cut down on the whole heavy metal and play what I feel like playing.











.. Until I change my mind, this will be it!

No comments: