Thursday, April 15, 2010

There's A Few Things To Share.

Not just music in general, but the things I'd like to remind myself as well.

Mike Mangini's parents didn't send him to further his studies in drums because he was already winning awards of being the drummer that he is. Why?

"Why should we pay you to 'learn somemore' when you've already learnt and being good enough at drums?"

He's a drum professor at Berklee's Music College, and has written 2 books (If I'm not mistaken) about drumming, and related computers to his technique.

Victor Wooten, from his book, "The Music Lesson" . Now when it comes to this, there's plenty of things to write up, but here's an interesting fact for those people who're facing the same problem like me. To face frustration in not learning the right modes, techniques, blah blah blah.

"If you concentrate on it, you won't be able to do what you can do. You need to think that you already know the technique, and practice it ethically."

"What you need to do is to jam! After all, you were not a master in speaking English when you're young. You spoke with your masters (in this case, your parents), and you mastered the technique as you grew older"

"I can't teach you, but I can show you how it is done."


There's plenty more where that came from, and I didn't quote it directly, by the way.

Now if you think those are a bunch of useless statements, change the whole "music" view to what you can do in life. Putting your mind into it is a general statement, but if you branch off to whatever you're doing, I think you can handle things pretty darn well.

I need to be constantly reminded. I couldn't stop smiling when I flipped through the pages of this Music Lesson.

No comments: