Thursday, November 13, 2008

Top 10 Music

Name your top 10 most played bands/ artistes on iTunes (Or Last. FM):

  1. Dream Theater
  2. Jack Johnson
  3. Children of Bodom
  4. Steve Vai
  5. Joe Satriani
  6. Metallica
  7. Eric Johnson
  8. Kelvyn Yeang/Ocean of Fire
  9. COIL
  10. Mario Biondi

What was the first song you ever heard by 6 (Metallica)?
Even though that I admit that the first real song that introduced me to this band would be Nothing Else Matters, but that was in form 3. I remember while I was still in my blue school shorts, I was flipping through MTV, watching these bunch of lion-baboon crossbreeds due to their hairdo, having that funky intro & riffs to Mission Impossible 2 OST's I Disappear. So.. Yup, that was how I knew of Metallica's existence, I suppose.

What is your favorite album of 2 (Jack Johnson)?
I can't start on this one. He does live shows and studio albums real good. Has a very good tone control over his guitar..

What is your favorite lyric that 5 (Joe Satriani) has sung?
These guitar gods who sing, doesn't have really good lyrics, btw..

How many times have you seen 4 (Steve Vai)?
None.

What is your favorite song by 7 (Eric Johnson)?
Manhattan. The live version recorded in 2001. Probably the best shit I've heard from a live album.

What is a good memory you have involving the music of 10 (Mario Biondi)?
Although Starbucks do play jazz in their stores, but Mario's type jazz is the one I favour, I suppose. Reminds me of the good times; of happy couples chilling at a bar, I guess.

Is there a song of 3 (Children of Bodom) that makes you sad?
Nope. Everytime I Die is a very positive negative song.

What is your favorite lyric that 2 (Jack Johnson) has sung?
There's no combination of words
I could put on the back of a postcard
No song that I could sing
But I can try for your heart,
our dreams, and they are made out of real things
like a shoebox of photographs
with sepia-toned loving
Love is the answer
at least for most of the questions in my heart, like
Why are we here? And where do we go?
And how come it's so hard?
It's not always easy and
sometimes life can be deceiving
I'll tell you one thing, it's always better when we're together

Mmmm, It's always better when we're together
Yeah we'll look at the stars and we're together
Well, it's always better when we're together
Yeah it's always better when we're together



Lyrics: Jack Johnson - Better Together. It's not about the cheesey-ness of the lyrics, but it's the way he sang it. The style is cute. Melody's simple, and he dribbles most of the time in this song, and the problem is, he can sustain a simple guitar strumming method and goes polyrhythmic with the damned lyrics.

Another:
Slow down everyone
You're moving too fast
Frames can't catch you when
You're moving like that


Lyrics: Jack Johnson - Inaudible Melodies. By right, the first line was supposed to be, "Slow down, Bruce; You're moving too fast." but that sounded odd. The main reason was because when Jack Johnson was attending Film class, where how music and film goes together, he was watching Bruce Lee during his first movie shoot and he was way too fast for the cameras. The directors asked him to slow down because he looked like the production team applied super-fake effects on him. Jack Johnson was writing a paper titled "Inaudible Melodies", which was his assignment, but it led him this song. Then he got an extension for his original assignment, but continued on his song and finished it.

How did you get into 3 (Children of Bodom)?
The sound of 32-beat double-bass drums, guitar soloes, inaudible vocals, insanely-quick guitar riffs got me hooked onto them in an instant during the Steve Vai-era of my guitar journey.. Back in 2004, I guess?

What was the first song you heard by 1(Dream Theater)?
As I Am. My friend sent me that song at first, I found it odd because it wasn't a proper song due to its odd timing at the 2nd verse where Mike Portnoy missed out a beat, but got back again. I thought the CD skipped, but it happened all the time.

What is your favorite song by 4 (Steve Vai)?
Tender Surrender. Still one of the best songs out there ever.

How many times have you seen 9 (COIL) live?
Never. They're a Japanese band. And I doubt that they're around together because I only heard of them when they did songs for the Koei's game - Gitaroo Man

What is a good memory you have involving 2 (Jack Johnson)?
Chilling by the beach under a cooling sun?

Is there a song by 8 (Kelvyn Yeang/Ocean of Fire) that makes you sad?
Come on lahhhh, they don't make emo songs now do they? If you want to be technical, fine; it's every song because listening to Kelvyn's stuff on the guitar makes me think why I can't pull off such stuff.

What is your favorite album of 5 (Joe Satriani)?
Super Colossal. It's a proper studio album by Joe Satriani instead of some of his previous stuff that had.. a very bad guitar tone in studios (e.g. Always With Me, Always With You - sounded like a Boss pedal plugged into a Marshall amp with the treble set to 10) and fruity-loop based drums ..?

What is your favorite lyric that 3 (Children of Bodom) has sung?
Another night, another demise
Cadaverous wind blowing cold as ice
I'll let the wind blow out the light
Cause it gets more painful every time I die

Children of Bodom - Everytime I Die.

What is your favorite song of 1 (Dream Theater)?
Instrumedley/The Dance of Eternity. I've been having this strange liking for their 50-minute live song, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulance .. Something conceptual, just that it didn't carry a storyline like the whole Scenes From a Memory stunt.

What is your favorite song of 10 (Mario Biondi)?
Mario Biondi - I'm Her Daddy.

How many times have you seen 7 (Eric Johnson) live?
He comes to Malaysia after what they've done to Joe Satriani?

What is your favorite album of 1 (Dream Theater)?
Scenes From A Memory (1999)

What is a great memory you have considering 9 (COIL) ?
The guitar, and the beginning of this whole musical madness.

What was the first song you heard by 8 (Kelvyn Yeang/Ocean of Fire)?
Spaceman. That was back in 2004, he brought it to class and asked me and YK to listen..hohoho

What is your favorite cover by 5 (Joe Satriani)?
Well, this will have to include the whole G3 gang, which would mean ..Foxey Lady by Jimi Hendrix. Good stuff, yup.

No comments: