Saturday, September 27, 2008

The Journey Begins.



Don't mind me, but my journey has finally begun. After learning about customer service, what's on the menu board, nearly creating The Third Place, managing the partners on floor, and the Back of House work, I finally opened the Maintenance & Cleanliness Manual!

.. And then came the Coffee & Tea Resource Manual.

It began this week, and I've re-read to refresh my memory about the washing processes, regions of coffee productions, characteristics of different washing methods, etc.

And today, I branched off a little bit more.

Out of so many coffee species, if you are still new, you'd know that there are only 2 types of consumable coffee beans in the world. Which is wrong, because there are a total of 3 types.

Number 2, the Long Black that customer would order in Starbucks would be the Italian method of extracting as much as it can from the fine ground espresso beans through the espresso machine. But then again, if you search Long Black on wikipedia, as I have, it shows the Australian style of how they would do Long Black; where it is hot water, then the espresso shots on top, like a Machiato based-style espresso beverage.

The Long Black that we do, would be Lungo, by right.

Number 3, Ristretto shots, where most new baristas are not educated about this fine tasting espresso shot. Consider Ristretto shots the half of a normal shot of espresso. All the old timers in Starbucks would know about this, but it's sad to know that the new partners won't even bother about additional knowledge.












Also, I read not long ago that one of the top 100 jobs to have in the world is to be a Starbucks barista due to the benefits (medical included) received. I think the biggest benefits is that this job teaches you something that you can learn from, instead of it being a normal static job. If you were to work as a clerk, you do nothing but paper works, and scheduling your boss' schedule. As a barista, you get to learn about different types of coffee, and many many more.

I rest my case!

If you know what is the reason behind me studying the Coffee & Tea manual, good for you. But the problem is, what am I studying for?

The coffee master programme, or for my personal knowledge?

It's not wrong for the answer to be both, right?

:)

No comments: